Flying through ‘Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day’

Flying creaturesI never thought we would love science so much, but since using the Apologia series of books, we will never learn science in any other way!  Sometimes you just get the ‘right fit’ with curriculum.

Last year we did Apologia’s Astronomy and this year we are moving on with Zoology 1: Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day.  It has been such a turn-around from the dry and uninspiring program we used a couple of years ago.

Apologia

I love how the accompanying notebook beautifully reinforces the information through different activities, from the use of copywork, colouring and crosswords, to labelling diagrams and completing lapbook-inspired activities.  The finished notebook will be something to treasure.

Aside from the fact that my daughter (7) is retaining a good amount of the factual content, she is also improving in her handwriting, comprehension, and spelling.  She even asked the other night if she could take her notebook to bed and do schoolwork during her reading time.  Not bad for an artsy kid.  :)

It’s one thing to hear a great review but another to see it in operation. So I thought I’d put up some photos of what my daughter has completed recently.

Apologia (4) Apologia (6) website Apologia (7) website Apologia (8) website Apologia (9) website

Anyone else had great success with a science curriculum?

You might also be interested in this post: Apologia: Zoology 1 – Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day

{Linked up at Homegrown Learners (Collage Friday)}

21 thoughts on “Flying through ‘Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day’

1. Carolyn

We are starting with Zoology with Lily this coming year – can’t wait to start, it looks like so much fun! Glad you guys are enjoying it!

1. mm0f2kds

We started the botany when our son was eight and our daughter was seven. We are going to finish it in the next school year because it was too hard for her at that age, but I think she will do better since she will be nine in November. Our son did very well starting at the age of eight.

2. mwfinchwren

Victoria, I think we’re starting with Apologia in SL this fall. Did that fantastic copywork book come with your science Apologia or is that something you did yourself? It is wonderful! —Wren

1. homemakingwithheart

It came with it! There is the main hardcover textbook and then you can purchase the accompanying notebook (also a Junior version which we are using). It’s optional, but I think it’s absolutely necessary for the enjoyment factor. You could also purchase the lapbooks as a different option. There are three providers that do them. – Victoria

3. Radical Momma

We’re starting with Zoology 2 for next year and will probably circle back to Zoology 1 the year after. I let my kids decide which curriculum they wanted to use for next year, and they wanted to start with sea creatures. As I’ve looked through the Zoology 2 book, I’M getting excited about Science, so I know my kids will love it, too. :)

Great review!

4. mwfinchwren

Hi again, Victoria!! I just noticed that you followed the blog I do with my sister! Thank you SO much…I consider that a real honor. Blessings to you, right back! :)Wren
    P.S. I’ll be vicariously enjoying homeschool via your blog; we are taking the summer of from everything except Bible and math. Your post today has me really looking forward to Apologia!

1. homemakingwithheart

Yes I did just float over there and take a look, and thought to myself why on earth I wasn’t already following it. 😉
      So pleased you’re looking forward to Apologia! Did you know about the Apologia blog roll on My Joy Filled Life? You might find some other ladies to connect up with and see what they do. – Victoria

1. mwfinchwren

You’re so sweet! And thx for mentioning MJFL. I hadn’t heard of it and will check it out…..tomorrow! It’s sign-off and bedtime here. But I’m happy to hear about another homeschool site….and one that celebrates joy?? Woo hoo!

Good night from the US!

5. Happily Occupied Homebodies

I just did Apologia’s Botany book last year with three of mine. I didn’t use the notebook, but after looking at your pictures, I’m definitely getting the notebook for the book we choose for next year! Not sure what that will be yet, but probably an animal one. Do they have to be done in any certain order (the animal ones, that is)?

1. homemakingwithheart

As I understand it, there’s no particular order to do them in. I purchased this one last year but felt it was a little too much for my then 6 year old. So we started with Astronomy which was a perfect fit. The junior version of the notebook has suited us much more than the regular version (which I also purchased initially as they hadn’t released the junior one yet). I would probably go up to the regular version around age 9.
      If you head over to ‘My Joy-Filled Life’, and look at the blog roll for 2012-13 and 2013-14, you can connect with other Apologia bloggers and might find which text is the best for your family.

6. ashleylecompte

This all looks amazing! I am just curious and this could be a loaded question but how did you settle on your homeschooling curriculum and do you have websites where I could find further information about the program that you’re using? I would love to have a look. Glad that your beautiful daughter has taken such a liking to her school work. :)

7. Rebeca Jones

We are doing Zoology 2 with A Journey Through Learning’s lapbooking CD-ROM. It makes for super easy lapbooking that my girls absolutely love! This is the best science curriculum I have ever used–even into the upper grades.